- Ask to see their licence to ensure that your waste is being taken by a licensed waste carrier. You can check here https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers for details of registered carriers, or ring/email the Environment Agency 03708 506506 or email@example.com
- Take a note or photograph of the registration number of the vehicle that is being used to take your rubbish away
- Ask where your rubbish is being taken, record any checks you make and ask for a receipt
- Use any contractor who cold calls on you without checking them out before committing yourself. If the contractor is genuine he will return.
- Use contractors who leave cards or leaflets without checking them out.
- Use any contractor whose terms seem too good to be true; if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Environmental Enforcement Officers who see people dumping waste or leaving items they no longer want outside their homes or in other public places for others to pick up can issue fixed penalty notices of up to £400.